Patient FAQs


How do I qualify for Cancer Action services?

  • Qualifications depend on the program and services being requested.  Some of our services are donation-based and can be accessed by anyone with cancer in the Greater Kansas City area.  Other services are funded by grants and have eligibility requirements.  Contact us and we will put you in touch with our case manager.

How do I register to receive services?

  • We encourage you to visit or contact our office so that we can put you in touch with our case managers. 

Can someone else sign me up and/or pick up supplies for me?

  • Yes!  A family member may register you if they have the information needed to complete the intake process.  A family member or friend can pick up supplies on your behalf.

What information do you need to sign up for your services?

  • You will need to provide the following information to register for services: the cancer patient’s name, date of birth, address, phone number, diagnosis, physician’s name, where receiving cancer treatment, type of treatment, number of individuals living in the household and the household income.

Do you serve children with cancer?

  • Yes, we have no age restrictions.  We provide services for children with cancer and their families.

What counties do you serve?

  • Our service area is dependent on your needs.  Our financial assistance, transportation, nutritional supplement and medical equipment offering requires a person to have a permanent residence in Jackson, Cass, Clay or Platte counties in Missouri or Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas.  Donated services and supplies are available to anyone with cancer.  The items must be picked up at our offices in Overland Park, KS or Independence, MO.

How much does it cost to access your programs and services?

  • Cancer Action programs and services are offered to those with cancer and their families at no cost.  There may be a slight cost for Nutritional Supplements based on income.  This will be determined at the time of an assessment.

If I have insurance, can I still use your services?

  • Yes!  We do not bill insurance for our services.  If you have insurance and qualify for our prescription assistance program, you must use your insurance and Cancer Action will help with the co-pay.  However, we do not cover co-pays for doctors’ visits or labs.

How quickly can I begin receiving services?

  • Cancer Action strives to provide services to our clients as quickly as possible.  The time varies dependent on the program requested and how quickly we can obtain the information required.

Do you offer financial assistance?

  • Yes!  Our financial assistance programs include gas card assistance, cancer-related prescriptions and lymphedema sleeves.  To qualify for Cancer Action financial programs, you must have a permanent residence in Jackson, Cass, Clay or Platte counties in Missouri or Johnson or Wyandotte counties in Kansas.  An application to determine eligibility is required.  Contact us for more information. 

Do you provide transportation?

  • Cancer Action does not provide rides to treatment, however, we do have a gas card assistance program to assist cancer patients living in the Kansas City metro with the cost of gas while in active treatment.   An application to determine eligibility is required.  Contact us for more information.

What kinds of programs and services do you offer?

  • Cancer Action programs and services are designed help with some of the physical, emotional and financial burdens associated with cancer.  Visit our What We Do page for a complete list or contact our office to speak with one of our caring, professional case managers to see how we can assist.

Do you accept used medical equipment/supplies?

  • We do accept gently used equipment and supplies.  Due to our limited storage space, please contact our office if you are interested in donating.